Saturday, June 14, 2008

Bouncing Bummies on Bikes!

Joshua and Jake rearin to go!

Makenzie on her Ariel bike! I forgot to get Joshua to
take a picture of my bike but trust me, it's really cool!.

On Memorial day Joshua and I decided to buy a pair of bikes. We had been thinking about it for a while and finally did it. After buying the bikes we headed to Alexandria to try them out on the Mt Vernon trial. It starts in D.C. and ends in Mt. Vernon. The trail is about 18 miles long. It's a beautiful trail that winds through the woods along the Potomac river. Of course we did not go all eighteen miles but did go five miles up and five back to where we started from. Little by little we'll build up to the eighteen miles, maybe! When we started out we had some concerns about Makenzie. First of all, she's so new at riding without training wheels and we weren't sure how well she would handle the ride maneuvering down the curvy trail, around people & across bridges. Second, there were several hills (some were pretty steep) that she had to go up & down with out gears meaning of course that her little legs would have to do a lot more pedaling than we did. But our fears were laid to rest because she did awesome! She was fearless. When we would come upon a group of walkers or bikers not going as fast as she wanted, she would kindly honk her horn (using her voice) and then say, "excuse us, coming through!". She rode all tens miles like it was no sweat. She liked it so much that she didn't want to stop. Joshua and I had to promise her that we would come back again before she would get off her bike. I was so proud of her for doing so well. Jake however didn't have such a great time. I think he would've had a better time that day if he would of taken a nap. I kept telling him to look at things and asking him if he was having fun, but all I would get from him was "I want out!" and " I don't want Daddy's bum in my face anymore!" I can see how the bum thing might be a bit annoying. Well, besides Jakie's boredom, we all had a great time and are loving our new bikes and our newly found favorite pastime.

No comments: